For Covid-19 tests in the comfort of your home or for corporate/employee www.covidtestings.co.za | Department of Health COVID-19 updates available at www.sacoronavirus.co.za
The basis to Occupational Health Services is the holistic assessment process and application of primary health care principles across the manufacturing, construction, transport and mining industry sectors.
Occupational Health Services
WHIPS specialise in the development, implementation and delivery of comprehensive occupational health strategies for clients.
This service facilitates employer compliance with occupational health legislation and administrative requirements.
It includes aspects such as occupational risk assessment, biological monitoring, and the management of injuries on duty, absence management support, basic primary healthcare, and chronic disease management support.
A flexible approach enables the structuring of tailor-made packages to suit the individual needs of employers.
The Occupational Health and Safety Act requires employers to assess their responsibility for the health and well-being of their workforce. Other special requirements included in legislation such as the Regulations for Hazardous Chemical Substances (Reg. 1179 of 28 August 1995), the Mine Health and Safety Act of 1996, have placed the responsibility on employers to provide appropriate occupational health services to their employees.
Occupational health is becoming an increasingly complex field. In a dynamic environment where requirements for occupational health and safety at work are continually evolving, the need for specialist knowledge and understanding of policy, compliance requirements and strategy for effective implementation becomes critical.
Our professionally rendered on-site service offers the following benefits:
• Formalizes company health policies and programs.
• Assists the company in complying with all relevant legislation.
• Ensures professional pre-placement medical examinations of potential employees.
• Ensures the correct placement of new employees in relation to their physical capabilities.
• Minimizes hazards and risks.
• Reduces man-hours lost due to job-related illness or injury.
• Increases productivity by keeping healthy workers healthy.
• Interacts with, and enhances the company's safety program.
• Ensures compliance with regulations, reduced risks of non-compliance and ongoing monitoring of regulatory change.
• Addresses and manages needs in a properly planned, professional and efficient manner.
• Assists with problem-solving and decision-making.
• Benchmarks vs. industry best practice, and comparisons and trends.
• Enhances health awareness across the workforce.
• Reduces medical and legal claims.
• Enables companies to focus on their core business.
• Reduces the cost of implementing a compliant service; and
• Reduces costs due to job related injury/illness.
• Increases productivity.
• Enhances company safety programs.
What we offer
Our contracted services are flexible in order to accommodate individual company or industry needs. Services are delivered either through managed on-site clinics and infrastructure, from mobile on-site units. Our high quality service is provided at an all-inclusive fixed monthly fee for on-site clinics and a negotiated fee-for-service structure for mobile and off-site services. Service components include the following:
• Pre-employment medical examinations, enabling the correct placement of workers according to their physical and mental compatibility to job specifications.
• Exit medical examinations recording the health status of workers on termination of service to prevent later litigation.
• Employee health assessment and ongoing management including:
• Compliance to all legislative and administrative requirements including industry specific compliance (such as mining healthcare services to meet the specific needs of the mining industry).
• Laboratory testing of exposed employees according to the requirements of the Regulations for Hazardous Chemical Substances (Reg. 1179 of 28 August 1995) and other relevant legislation.
• Ergonomic surveillance (environmental improvement), including:
• First aid training as required by legislation.
• Professional occupational medical consultancy.
• Interaction and enhancements with company safety program.
• Management reports (for planning, problem solving and decision making), including:
• Quality assurance and best practice program and procedures.
• Administration of cases involving the Compensation of Occupational Injuries and Diseases Act.
Health surveillance and health examinations
The surveillance of worker's health is made through various types of health examinations. The main purpose of health examinations is to assess the suitability of a worker to carry out certain jobs, to assess any health impairment which may be related to the exposure to harmful agents inherent in the work process and to identify cases of occupational diseases which may have resulted from exposures at work. The following types of health examinations are carried out either on the basis of regulations or as a part of good occupational health practice:
• Pre-assignment (pre-employment) health examinations
• Periodic health examinations
• Return to work health examinations
• General health examinations
• Health examinations at termination or after ending of service
As a health service Basic Occupational Health Services have a general obligation to keep record on health services provided to the workers. The record-keeping obligations are:
• General health record if the workers are treated as patients or health service clients
• Data on surveyed, detected and measured occupational exposures and risk assessments which have been made
• Statistics on occupational diseases and injuries
• Data on health examinations
• Documents on proposals for preventive and control measures
get in touch
Unit 1, Spur Building, Glen Acres Centre,
Glen Marais, Kempton Park
CAPE TOWN OFFICE
10B, Prestige Business Park
Democracy Way, Milnerton
PO Box 17041, Atlasville, Kempton Park, Gauteng,1638
t +27 (10) 591 4408 f +27 (86) 626 1692/1631